If you haven't paid your property taxes yet, today is the last day before late penalties kick in. July 2, 2014 is the deadline for property tax payment and various applications as listed below:
- Deadline to pay your rural property taxes
- Deadline to apply for the home owner grant without late payment penalties
- Deadline to apply to defer your property taxes without late payment penalties
- Deadline to apply for the Farm Extension Program
Before paying your property taxes, make sure to complete the Home Owner Grant Application. There are 6 ways you can pay property taxes:
1) By Mail: Mail the cheque or money order with the remittance portion of the property tax bill to the local municipality. Taxes must be received by the due date.
2) At a Financial Institution: Pay online, by phone, in person or ATM. Submit the Home Owner Grant application directly to the municipality or by using the municipality's electronic Home Owner Grant Application System.
3) At City Hall: In person using a cheque, money order, cash or debit card. You can also remit payment through the drop box. Place the cheque or money order in an envelope with "Property Taxes" written on it. Use the envelope provided with the tax notice.
4) Through a Mortgage: A lender can pay property taxes on behalf of a taxpayer if this service is arranged beforehand.
5) By Installments: Check with the municipality to see if prepayment options are available.
6) Online: Visit www.epost.ca or by using the municipality's own online payment system.
*Credit card payments are not allowed for property tax payments.